Keeping your self-service kiosk clean for a healthier lifestyle is critical during the flu season as well as the COVID-19 outbreak. According to the CDC, the virus can live up to 48 hours on hard surfaces such as glass and touchscreen film. In addition, components such as Pin Pads and NFC readers can also be affected. We recommend the following cleaning and disinfecting procedure for self-service devices relative to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Included are recommended disinfectant products that are safe for use with kiosk products and approved by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Important considerations before cleaning your Kiosks
- Select only non-abrasive cleaning cloths to avoid scratching touchscreens.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit. If liquids get inside the unit, have a qualified technician determine whether it is safe to power the unit back on.
- Avoid highly concentrated (70%+) alcohol, bleach or ammonia solutions, these cause discoloration
- Dampen a clean, non-abrasive cloth with a mild soap-and-water solution. Squeeze excess moisture from the cloth. When using a spray application, spray the disinfectant onto the cloth; Do NOT spray directly onto the screen or components.
- Clean the surfaces and allow them to dry.
- For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with Kiosks, see below.
US CDC-recommended disinfectant solutions safe for Kiosks
- Household bleach solution (1/3 cup bleach per gal. of water)
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% solution)
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes
- Lysol Brand Clean & Fresh Multi Surface Cleaner
- Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes
- Sani-Cloth Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipes
For more information from the CDC on disinfecting procedures for Coronavirus can be found here:
Do NOT use the following materials when cleaning/disinfecting your Kiosks
- Alcohol at concentration > 70%
- Methyl or Ethyl > 35%
- Strong solvents
- Detergents with fluoride
- Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
- Abrasive cleaners
- Detergents with abrasives
- Steel wool
- Sponges with abrasives
- Cloth with steel threads
Contact Information: For technical support or help with this procedure, please call 800-922-8501 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.