Walk through a day in the life of a teller issuing cashier’s checks using pre-printed check stock, rewind and then walk through the teller’s day using Source Technologies’ in-house secure printing solution.
You’ll see how Source Technologies’ saves our customers both time and money with secure MICR check printers and software solutions. Using blank check stock to print cashier’s checks in-house instead of pre-printed check stock:
- Cuts transaction time by 75%
- Saves banks up to 80% on internal processes and paper costs
- Reduces the potential for fraud
Let’s walk through the bank check issuance process using pre-printed checks, then using blank check stock and a MICR check printer.
Pre-Printed Check Stock
Estimated time to issue a cashier’s check: 8-9 minutes
Before the Bank Opens
- As a bank prepares to open each morning, two tellers go to the vault to take out some pre-printed official checks for use that day.
- They record the check numbers onto a ledger and then distribute those checks to the other tellers in the branch who each sign for their checks.
Customer Check Issuance
- That day a customer comes into the bank for a cashier’s check. The teller unlocks a drawer, takes a check, closes a drawer and locks it back. The teller pulls up the customer information from their system and inputs the amount, pay to information and date for the check. The teller leaves the customer to place the check into a dot matrix printer, typewriter or a non-secure laser printer and waits while the variable data is printed onto the check.
- If all the information is aligned and prints correctly (fingers crossed), the teller gives the completed cashier’s check to the customer, along with a receipt of the transaction. The teller keeps a credit copy to submit with the daily work.
Two different tellers collect the remaining official checks from their colleagues, reconcile the check numbers used, prepare voided items appropriately and return the unused checks to the vault.
Now let’s rewind!
Secure In-House MICR Check Printers
Estimated time to issue a cashier’s check: 2 minutes
Customer Check Issuance
- That day a customer comes into the bank for a cashier’s check. The teller pulls up the customer information on their system and inputs the amount, pay to information and date.
- The teller selects “print.” The official check automatically prints on Source Technologies’ secure MICR check printer from blank check stock complete with static data, variable data and MICR line.
- All the issuance data is electronically captured and sent to the appropriate back end systems for compliance, audit and positive pay requirements.
Using secure printing options like blank check stock and the Source Technologies’ MICR check printers eliminates many time consuming steps needed using pre-printed check stock:
- No manual recording of check numbers
- No manual reconciliation of check numbers used
- No searching for missing check numbers
- Never leave the customer for better service
- Cut transaction time by 75%
Contact us today to learn more about our MICR check printer solution that utilizes secure printing methods and saves your branch time and money!